Monday 9 September 2013

MINUTE WITH THE MAKER: WANDERLUST LIFE JEWELLERY

I'm psyched to reveal my first 'Minute with the maker' post as Georgie Roberts, the lady behind Etsy store Wanderlust Life. Here on peg, I've only ever bleated on about items for the home but every now and then I poke my head out of the interiors cloud when I come across a nugget of beauty for little old moi. Recently this has been in the form of maker Georgie's free sprited jewellery. For me the lure of her pieces lies in the simplicity of the designs, typically with just one semi precious stone on a delicate thread with a gold plated fastening. There is an enchanting quality to Wanderlust Life jewels that draws out my 'inner nomad' (or should I saw wanderer)...

Georgie lives in North Devon but is a wanderer at heart, often fleeing seaside life during the harsher winter months for far-flung destinations. She kindly took some time out to answer peg's 'Minute with the maker' Q&A...


Talk us through the inspiration behind Wanderlust Life jewellery? 
Wanderlust means ‘a strong desire to travel’ – I’ve always been lucky enough to travel most winters, so the name of the brand is close to my heart. Gemstones have always fascinated me...
My Mum always had a crystal bible and collected semi precious gemstones and jewellery, I loved combing through her collections that had come from far away places. Faceted gemstones were always my favourite – I love the way they catch the light and sparkle. I like the idea of carrying a little jewel around your neck from a far away place – how magical is that.
 
What is your favourite thing about being a designer / maker?
Exploring new ideas, constantly creating! And that lovely buzz you get when you see someone walk past you on the street wearing one of your pieces. So nice!
 
Tell us about the materials that the Wanderlust Life jewellery is made from?
I use semi precious faceted stones, including rubies, amethyst, chalcedony, labradorite. Each stone is very different, and they all have their own meanings and properties.
 
Do you have a preferred time of day to make your creations?
I am working full time in a gallery at present, so any free moment really! I do need good daylight when I’m making though, it can be a fiddly process!
 
When you aren't making what are your 3 favourite things to do?
I’m lucky enough to live right my the sea... When I can, I love taking a walk down to the beach. I have some lovely buddies that own a shop (that stock Wanderlust Life) and a tea room right by the shore, so a chinwag and a good coffee is normally involved! And Peg blog – my new favourite place for ideas and inspiration. Being by the coast is lovely, but the shops are far and few between, so it’s great to find inspiration online.

You can purchase Georgie's beautiful creations from her Wanderlust Life Etsy shop here or contact her directly at georgie.roberts@live.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment