Saturday 30 November 2013

MADE IN CLERKENWELL

On Thursday night I met a friend in Farringdon and by chance stumbled across 'Made in Clerkenwell' at The Goldsmith Centre. I had actually been given a heads up about the event by ceramic artist Janet Stahelin Edmondson (a friend of my mums) but having been in a channel vision post work coma I totally forgot about it until there it was staring right at me.
Janet Stahelin Edmondson
Janet Stahelin Edmondson's lace printed ceramics
Made in Clerkenwell is a bi annual open studios event, showcasing independent crafts and design talent. It includes everything from jewellery and accessories to my weakness - ceramics and exquisite pieces for the home. What I love most about this event is the chance to chat to the makers and designers that make these items, which are often crafted by hand and buy something totally unique for your abode. If you get the chance to swing by Made in Clerkenwell it is still on today and tomorrow (Saturday 30 November & Sunday 1 December)

I sadly only had time to explore The Goldsmith Centre (gutting as I wanted to see Janet Stahelin Edmondson's work as well) but there are 150 selected designer-makers spread across 3 buildings, including 21 Clerkenwell Green and 33-35 St Johns square.

It is great for picking up gifts for Christmas, whilst supporting independent talent, rather than just buying pressies from the retail giants on the highstreet. Here are some of my favourite pieces - My Peg 'ones to watch'...
Pottery by Ryan Connolly
Hand woven basket bowl by Maggie Smith Basketry
Penny Seume
Penny Seume
It took some serious willpower not to buy one of these beautiful cushions by textile designer Penny Seume, who I got chatting to at the end. Her prints wouldn't look out of place in Liberty and she already stocks in interiors mecca- ABC in New York. Her cushions cost between £60 - £70. The unique prints are taken from Penny's very own paintings, inspired by urban landscapes. The cushions shown above are part of her London series- note the adorable attention to detail on the back of old fashioned London lamp posts. Penny is also a lovely lady to talk to and so modest about her inspiring work. If ABC have already scouted her textiles, expect big things to come.
To take a look at Penny's website click here

No comments:

Post a Comment